1. Preheat oven to 390°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Halves tomatoes and place them on the lined baking sheet, skin side down. Stab the red peppers with a fork and add them to the baking sheet whole. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for 20-25 mins until slightly charred.
4. While those roast, dice the onion and mince the garlic.
6. Add the tomatoes and peppers to the pot trying to transfer all the juices too.
7. Stir well. Add the basil and sugar.
8. Blend soup with an immersion blender to get a thick, creamy consistency. (A regular blender or food processor will work as well)