Homemade Crema di Limoncello
- 10 lemons
- 1 (750-ml) bottle quality vodka
- 8 cups whole milk
- 5 cups sugar / 2.2 pounds
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds and pod
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1. Zest the lemons with a grater and place the zest and vodka in a container. Allow to infuse in a dark, cool place for a week.
- 2. Then, strain the liquid through a cheesecloth and set aside.
- 3. In a large saucepan, heat the milk with the olive oil, sugar, and vanillabeanseedsandpod over low-medium heat and bring to a very gentle simmer, stirring for 3-4 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the heat and let it reach room temperature. Discard the vanillabean and strain the mixture through the cheesecloth.
- 5. Combine the vodka infusion with the milk mixture. Mix well.
6. Serve ice-cold or store in the freezer, in a freezer proof bottle.