Herbed Roast Turkey with Olive Oil
- 1 whole turkey, (approx.12 lb.), fresh or frozen and thawed
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, red, large
- 1 head garlic
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 tbs thyme sprigs
- 2 tbs rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbs sage leaves
- 1 tbs sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/450°F/Gas mark 4.
- 2. Take the giblets out of the turkey and wash the turkey thoroughly, inside and out. Pat the outside of the turkey dry, with paper towels.
- 3. Cut the onion and lemon in wedges.
- 4. Stuff the cavity with the lemon, onion, garliccloves, thyme, rosemary and sage.
- 5. Tie the legs together using kitchen twine or use its own skin to tuck the legs together, and tuck the wings snuggly under the body.
- 6. Mix the olive oil with the honey and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk well and rub the outside of the turkey with the mixture.
- 7. Fit a roasting rack inside a baking pan and place the turkey on the rack, breast side up.
- 8. Cook in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.Keep roasting basting with the juices from the pan, until the juices run clear when you cut between the turkey leg and the thigh, for approx. 3 hours.
- 9. Remove from the oven and cover with tin foil, allowing the turkeyto rest for 20 minutes before carving and serving.