This is the dish you make when grabbing a banana while running out the door won’t cut it. Hearty and full of bursting flavors it will make you rethink eggs for brunch or breakfast. The tomato sauce, (a very Greek classic) with the thyme and oregano is so rich and can turn these simple eggs into a somewhat decadent meal. There are a lot of liquid elements here so add a little more flour if needed, to get a thick, whipped egg consistency. Serve with toasted bread, brushed with extra virgin olive oil.
4 medium sized eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- ½ cup tomato puree
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup leek, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- ½ teaspoon oregano, dried
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Optionally Italian parsley to garnish and bread to serve.
Heat the oil in a non-stick pan.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Pour into the pan, scrambling the mixture for 4-5 minutes.
If you are serving with bread, brush the slices with a little olive oil and toast in a clean pan or toaster.
- Transfer the eggs into a plate, garnish with fresh Italian parsley, and serve warm with the toasted bread.
Products used in this Recipe: