Recipe-130-Baked Eggplant Mozzarella Melt
Are you looking for an easy meal to please the whole family? Look no further than this mouth-watering baked eggplant mozzarella melt! This delicious treat has all the flavor of traditional Eggplant Parmesan but without the hassle, and will satisfy your hunger in no time. With layers of cheese, herbs and seasonings enveloped in roasted eggplant slices and then baked until golden brown, it’s sure to become a favorite with everyone who gives it a try. And don’t forget – since it’s vegetarian friendly, you can even substitute meatless crumbles if desired! So what are you waiting for – let's get cooking up this twist on Italian cuisine that could soon be a beloved staple in your house!
Preheat the oven’s grill to 390°F and line a wide baking pan with parchment paper.
Slice the eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices, arrange on the prepared baking pan and drizzle with half the amount of the extra virgin olive oil.
- In the meantime prepare the tomato sauce:
- Pour in the tomato puree and simmer for a couple of minutes over low heat.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven.
- Transfer into an oven-safe ceramic baking pot or baking pan of your choice and add the tomato sauce.
- Top with the grated mozzarella cheese and return to the oven for 10 more minutes until the cheese melts and gets golden brown and bubbly. Serve hot garnished with fresh basil leaves.