Braised Legumes & Chard Chowder
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 lb.Swiss chard leaves
- 1 cup canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 tbsolive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1. Transfer the beans and chickpeas to a large saucepan with enough water to cover by a few inches. Bring to a boil, season with salt and cook for about 40 minutes, until tender. Turn the heat off and let them absorb the cooking liquids.
- 2. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Chop off the chardstems and discard or save for other use. Slice the leaves crosswise, into long strips. Cook in the boiling water for about 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 3. Drain the beans and chickpeas.
- 4. Heat half the amount of the olive oiland sauté the sliced garlic in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for a minute.
- 5. Add the tomatopaste, vinegar, and the crushedtomatoes, stir well, add the beans and chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Season with paprika and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- 6. Stir in the chard and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook rapidly to reduce the liquid. As the juices thicken, drizzle the remaining olive oilall over, and simmer for another 2 or 3 minutes. Serve hot.