Recipe-29-Traditional Greek Fava Bean Puree with Olive Oil
Welcome to the taste of Greece! Today, we’ll be exploring a classic traditional dish that you won't find anywhere else – Fava Bean Puree with Olive Oil. This delightful blend of creamy yellow split peas and fragrant olive oil is simply irresistible with its delectable flavor combination. Whether you're new to Greek cuisine or just looking for something different to try, this dish will not disappoint! Not only does it have an amazing flavor but also provides immense health benefits such as improved digestion, better heart health, and boosted immunity. Let's take a closer look at this vibrant medley of vegetables and learn how to prepare it at home!
1 ½ cups fava beans
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for serving plus one tablespoon for cooking
- 1 tablespoon almond flakes
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Chop the carrots, onion and garlic into small chunks.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the fava beans to the saucepan and stir to let them soak up the flavours.
- Simmer over medium heat and keep adding water when needed.
- When it turns into a puree remove from the heat and roughly mash all the ingredients together with a fork.
Season to taste and serve sprinkled with flaked almonds, pink peppercorns and a finishing touch of raw olive oil.