Recipe-29-Traditional Greek Fava Bean Puree with Olive Oil
This is a true and tested, Greek-grandma approved recipe that will become your favourite appetizer. A multi-use spread that can be eaten on its own, drizzled with a generous dose of extra virgin olive oil, as a spread in your favourite sandwiches or a dip that goes really well with tortilla chips or breadsticks and crackers. It requires minimum attention so you are free to indulge in some me-time while the fava beans turn into a puree.
1 ½ cups fava beans
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for serving plus one tablespoon for cooking
- 1 tablespoon almond flakes
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Chop the carrots, onion and garlic into small chunks.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the fava beans to the saucepan and stir to let them soak up the flavours.
- Simmer over medium heat and keep adding water when needed.
- When it turns into a puree remove from the heat and roughly mash all the ingredients together with a fork.
Season to taste and serve sprinkled with flaked almonds, pink peppercorns and a finishing touch of raw olive oil.