Recipe-227-Dandelion & Provencal Croutons Salad
We love croutons that are roughly chopped, made of rustic, crusty bread, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with garlic and dried herbs. With a simple addition like that any salad gets transformed into a delicacy that you can’t wait to dig in. The simple honey-lemon-olive oil dressing adds a perfectly balanced sweetness that contrasts the mild bitterness of the dandelions but if you can’t find dandelions, go for any type of greens available, they work just as well.
2 cups dandelion greens
- 2 cups mixed greens, wild rocket or chopped iceberg lettuce
- 2-3 pieces Italian pancetta, or bacon thinly sliced into ribbons
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 sundried tomatoes
- 2 thick slices crusty bread
- 1 clove garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons for the croutons
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon Provencal spices
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Bring a pot of water to a boil and herb boil the eggs (7-8 minutes).
- In the meantime heat a dry pan and crisp the pancetta or bacon for a minute on each side. Remove from the pan and transfer on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Peel the clove of garlic slice in half and rub on the bread slices to infuse with flavour.
Dice the bread and toss in the same pan with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, stirring or tossing to crisp evenly for 2-3 minutes over high heat to seal in the flavors. Remove from the heat and season with the Provencal spices. Set aside.
- Mix the dandelions with the lettuce or mixed greens in a large salad bowl.
Whisk the extra virgin olive oil with the lemon juice and honey to make a simple dressing.
- Drizzle over the salad.
- Top with the eggs, sun dried tomatoes, pancetta (or bacon) and croutons.
Products used in this Recipe: