Recipe-09-Giouvarlakia (Greek Meatball Soup)
One of the best parts of winter is having a warming and comforting bowl of soup. Today, we’re making Yiouvarlakia. A hearty and nutritious meatball and rice soup that's liaised, or thickened, with an egg-lemon sauce a.k.a ‘avgolemono’. Ever wish you could eat meatballs by the spoonful? Now you can.
- Shape into bite-sized meatballs.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a deep non-stick sauce pan and sauté the meatballs for 5 minutes tossing to sauté evenly on all sides.
- Pour in the broth, add the remaining rice and simmer over low to medium heat adding more water as needed until the rice is cooked.
- Whisk the eggs with the juice of the lemons. Gradually add a ladle of the soup broth into the egg mixture whisking constantly.
- Pour into the soup and stir. Season to taste.
Serve hot with an extra drizzle of olive oil and bread.