Recipe-09-Giouvarlakia (Greek Meatball Soup)
Have you been searching for a delicious, comforting meal that is sure to please the entire family? Look no further than Giouvarlakia – a traditional Greek meatball soup. It's filled with flavor and simple to make, making it ideal for busy weeknights or larger gatherings. Not only does this warm and delightful soup hit all the right notes, but it also packs in plenty of protein thanks to its main ingredient - ground beef! Plus, Giouvarlakia is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals like B vitamins (important for energy) and iron (can help reduce tiredness). So gather your ingredients, grab your pots and pans, then get ready to bring a taste of Greece straight into your kitchen!
1 ½ cup minced meat (preferably half and half, pork and beef)
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 2 lemons
- 1 litre vegetable broth
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
In a mixing bowl combine the minced meat with ¼ cup of the rice, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and the garlic and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Shape into bite-sized meatballs.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a deep non-stick sauce pan and sauté the meatballs for 5 minutes tossing to sauté evenly on all sides.
- Pour in the broth, add the remaining rice and simmer over low to medium heat adding more water as needed until the rice is cooked.
- Whisk the eggs with the juice of the lemons. Gradually add a ladle of the soup broth into the egg mixture whisking constantly.
- Pour into the soup and stir. Season to taste.
Serve hot with an extra drizzle of olive oil and bread.
Products used in this Recipe: