Summer means ICE CREAM!
It’s no secret that we love experimenting with olive oil in the kitchen and we are always excited to find new ways to incorporate it to the most unusual recipes, which end up being your absolute favourites. This chocolate-olive oil ice-cream tastes like balmy summer nights at a Greek beach. We cut down on the heavy cream and use olive oil and more milk instead, so we are getting our fats from the healthier source available. Dig in!
Preparation/Cook Time: 20 mins
Freezing Time: 4 hours+
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup almond flakes
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt flakes
- Heat the milk with the cream in a pot, until the mix comes to a gentle simmer.
- Stir in the cocoa
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar until it reaches a thick consistency and a pale yellow color
- Gradually pour ladles of the milk mixture into the egg mixture while constantly whisking.
- Slowly whisk in tempered egg mixture in the pot with the remaining milk mixture.
- Keep whisking for 3-5 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Place the chocolate into a large mixing bowl
- Pour cream over chocolate while whisking to melt.
- Allow to cool down and fold in the almond flakes.
- Gradually pour in the olive oil whisking constantly until emulsified
- Place in an air tight container and freeze for 4-6 hours or overnight
- Serve topped with the salt flakes.