Braised Legumes & Chard Chowder
Are you looking for a simple yet filling recipe? Well, look no further! Today, we’re highlighting an incredible chowder with braised legumes and chard – a vegan favorite. With this flavorful and hearty soup, filled with nutritious ingredients like beans and Swiss chard, you can have a delicious meal in no time. In addition to being simple to create on busy weeknights or weekends alike, this stew is also bursting with flavor that even the pickiest eaters will enjoy. So go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds won’t be able to resist!
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
1 lb Swiss chard leaves
- 1 cup canned Italian plum tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
6 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Transfer the beans and chickpeas to a large saucepan with enough water to cover them by a few inches. Bring to a boil, season with salt, and cook for about 40 minutes, until tender. Turn the heat off and let them absorb the cooking liquids.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Chop off the chard stems and discard or save them for other use. Slice the leaves crosswise, into long strips. Cook in the boiling water for about 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 3. Drain the beans and chickpeas.
4. Heat half the amount of the olive oil and sauté the sliced garlic in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for a minute.
5. Add the tomato paste, vinegar, and crushed tomatoes, stir well, add the beans and chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Season with paprika and add more salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir in the chard and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook rapidly to reduce the liquid. As the juices thicken, drizzle the remaining olive oil all over, and simmer for another 2 or 3 minutes. Serve hot.
Products used in this Recipe: