Recipe-130-Baked Eggplant Mozzarella Melt
Dreams do come true. If you have been dreaming of the perfect midweek dinner that will travel you to a sunny Mediterranean island without the travel expenses, this is the real deal. Hearty eggplants, rich tomato sauce with onions, oregano and garlic, and melted mozzarella cheese teaming up to make this insanely delicious dinner. Not familiar with cooking eggplant? This is the simplest, fail-proof way to start using them.
Preheat the oven’s grill to 390°F and line a wide baking pan with parchment paper.
Slice the eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices, arrange on the prepared baking pan and drizzle with half the amount of the extra virgin olive oil.
- In the meantime prepare the tomato sauce:
- Pour in the tomato puree and simmer for a couple of minutes over low heat.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven.
- Transfer into an oven-safe ceramic baking pot or baking pan of your choice and add the tomato sauce.
- Top with the grated mozzarella cheese and return to the oven for 10 more minutes until the cheese melts and gets golden brown and bubbly. Serve hot garnished with fresh basil leaves.