Melomakarona are a classic Greek cookie
Nothing makes a chef happier than smiling faces around the table and Easter is the perfect time to indulge in a lovely baking session. These little beauties are a Greek classic festive favorite, established as the most popular dessert eaten during lent as they are dairy free. Soaked in golden honey syrup and full of holiday scents they are so easy to make! Add your personal touch with layers of chocolate or mix and match spices. We are giving you the perfect classic version here so that you can take it and make it your own! Enjoy!
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
- 120 ml olive oil
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 500g all-purpose flour
- 1 orange, juice & zest
- 175g sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
Honey Syrup Ingredients
- 350g water
- 250g sugar
- 250g honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 orange twist (peel)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 125g peanuts
- Bring the water with the sugar, honey, cinnamon stick and orange peel to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and allow to reach room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the olive oil, vegetable oil, orange juice and zest, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, soda and whisk well to combine.
- Gradually add the flour and incorporate to the mix.
- Shape the dough into egg shaped cookies and place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- While they are still warm, pour over the cold syrup.
- Toast the peanuts in a pan with the olive oil. Crush using a fork or mortar and pestle.
- Serve the melomakarona cookies drizzled with the extra honey and crushed, toasted nuts.
Pair our KEVOO with your dish
There is no related products to display.